Residence Card

On July 9, 2012 a new residency management system has started and Residence Card was introduced to replace Alien Registration Card.
Residence Card is issued to mid to long term resident when permission pertaining to residence is granted.  Foreign nationals newly entered Japan with status of residence (by means of Certificate of Eligibility) will receive Residence Card at one of the following Japanese airports. Narita, Haneda, Chubu, Kansai, Shin-Chitose, Hiroshima and Fukuoka Airports.

Residence card – sample

Front :   ① Nationality ② Status of Residence ③ Date of Expiration

在留カード 表

Back :   ④ When you are permitted to work within 28 hours a week, it is shown here. (Permitted to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previsouly granted)
⑤ Stating that the holder’s application for the change of residence status is in progress


Residence card are not issued to following persons.

1. Persons permitted to stay for 3 months or less
2. Persons with “Temporary visitor” status
3. Persons with “Diplomat” or “Official” status
4. Those recognized as equivalent to above 1~3
5. Special permanent residents
6. Persons with no resident status

Valid period of residence card

● Permanent resident :
    16 years or older =   7 years from the date of issuance
    Less than 16 years old  = Until the foreign nationals’ 16th birthday
● Other than Permanent resident:
    16 years or older =  Expiration date of the period of stay
    Less than 16 years old  = Expiration date or 16th birthday, whichever comes earlier

● Alien Registration Card holders ( important )

Final date of validity for any Alien Registration Card is July 8, 2015.
Switch to a Residence Card can be applied at your nearest regional Immigration office together with passport, old alien registration card and most recent photo (4cm x 3cm) .

>> ask for our support on issuance of residence card (switch from alien registration certificate that is regarded as a residence card)


Notification requirements to residence card holders : 

1.  Place of residence – within 14 days of the change to municipal office

    ・Foreign nationals newly entered Japan
    ・Mid to long term residents who moved into a new address
2.  Other items on resident card – within 14 days to a regional Immigration office
    ・ Name, date of birth, gender, nationality/region
    ・ Loss or theft of residence card  
3.  Organization to which he/she belongs – within 14 days to a regional Immigration office
    ・ When to change or quite organization
    ・ When the organization changes its name, location or status
    ・ When a person with “Dependent” status loses spouse by death or devorce

>> ask us for more details or assistance

For the inquiry or to book a consultation, please
・ use contact form
・ email us at
・ call us at 03-3461-2761 (from overseas +81-3-3461-2761)

Business hours : Monday to Friday 10:00am ~ 7:00pm
Meetings out of business hours or weekends are available by appointment